Monday, December 29, 2008

A Symbol of Hate

As you may know, this is our first year in the AISA. For the most part, it has been a good experience, especially the higher level of competition. And before I start bantering, I want to be careful about judgement. We are new to the AISA and its teams. I have no reason to believe that the AISA doesn't mean it when they say they will not tolerate derogatory language. We have filed a formal complaint with the AISA against Jackson Academy for repeatedly calling our players "niggers" during our game at their gym. We have made it clear to the AISA and others that we will not tolerate this verbal abuse against our kids. We will see how that works out, but in this article, I want to focus more of the rebel flag, which I believe is a symbol of hate and still reflects the segregated hearts many people in Alabama.

I would like to know the percentage of Bachelor Degree Alabamians who actually view the rebel flag as a symbol of their proud "heritage." I am not a betting man, but if I was, I believe the percentage would be very small. Why? because they understand there is not a lot about which to be proud as it relates to this "heritage." Even the civil war itself is not something about which to be proud. Brothers killing brothers? Slavery? I guess one could make a case for the cause of "states rights." I guess that could be something about which to be proud.

I don't know exactly how many schools in the AISA have the mascot name, "rebels," but I know we have played several. One school rushed to put up large rebel flags around their field while our team was warming up. I wonder, are they putting those up thinking they are encouraging their team to rebel against us? I suppose that could be the case, but I doubt it. Could they be thinking about the positives of the civil war? I don't think so. Could they just consider it a picture of a "rebel?" Much like us having a flag with a Bulldog on it since bulldogs is our mascot. I guess that could be possible. Or could it mean something more sinister? Could it be a symbol of the old south; an old south about which they are proud; an old south which was completely segregated. I am willing to bet, for most of those waiving those flags, that is what it means.

Even if I had not seen videos of people waiving the rebel flag during acts such as lynchings, protest, governors standing in front of college doors; my assumption would not be baseless. The AISA made it clear to me when we joined; their association was started because of desegregation. I credit them for being honest. I really believe the current leadership of the AISA wants to distance itself from that. Since we are a mostly black school, they would not have let us in the AISA if they did not want to distance themselves from that idea. However, I believe it is time for the AISA to clamp down on rebel flags. What better way to distance yourself from the old idea of segregation! What better way to distance yourself from the unwarranted hate of black people!

I can't change the hearts of people, and it amazes me when I consider the number of people who believe in segregation and call themselves Christian. This is completely opposite of the Gospel message. Therefore, place your rebel flag on your home; you can place it on your property; heck, you can even place it on civil war memorials, but do not waive it in the faces of my kids! If I consider it a symbol of hate, what must they think. They have read the books, seen the movies and videos of the context of the rebel flag. Are you proud that they believe you hate them? I certainly hope not.

I plan to file a formal complaint with the AISA next week against schools waiving rebel flags. It is going to be interesting to see how the AISA reacts. Obviously, the waiving of rebel flags will not be difficult to prove.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Proud of you, Coach. I stand shoulder to shoulder with you.

M.E. Amaral WHS 1971 said...

check out my blog:

www.walpolemassachusetts.blogspot.com

People foolishly wave the confederate flag in Walpole Mass

good luck